Oh the fun of fashion! Every season I look forward to seeing what the new "must have" fashions are. Although it can sometimes be a difficult time (because I cannot afford everything I want) it usually is exciting! I know not everyone gets into it like I do but I love it, always have, probably always will. So, I decided to dedicate this entry to my passion for fashion....ha, I like that. I must state that I am not a fashionista, I love clothing and I try my darndest to put things together nicely but I am pretty thrifty which doesn't always get me the exact look I want. Which brings me to my point. This season I found there are a few "must have's" that are not expensive. I found that without spending a lot I got a lot of what is "in". So I decided to pass on my finds to you, my beloved readers. The 3 items I think are needed are as follows....flats, some bold jewelry, and belts.
Let's start with the flats. I purchased both a black patten leather pair (a couple years ago!) and a brown pair (this year). Flats really will go with anything from a pair of jeans, to khaki's to skirts. I found a great pair at JCPenny, of all places, and they are both casual and dressy at the same time. And if you don't already have some shorter pants I suggest going to a tailor, paying the $10 it costs to get a pair of your black pants and jeans hemmed.
Next, let's talk belts. Of course, the practical me chose both black and brown. I have however, seen some great animal print one's that would jazz up any outfit. The reason I think belt's are a must is because again they don't cost much and they are being worn over everything from blouses to sweaters. I like them right at my waist however, my friend said that she does not like that because they make her look short waisted. So for her a looser belt worn at the hips works best. Last week for church I paired a black pair of wide legged trousers (already had them) with my black flats, a red short sleeve sweater (had it) and a black belt with a gold buckle (JCPenny $12) over top. I also threw on a gold circle, larger type necklace, with matching earrings (Target for $10). My new friend Diana said "love the jewelry, is it from Loft". Tip: If you really want to save some money I found that they now have these reversible belts. Black on one side and brown on the other. These are great especially if you want a gold buckle and a silver...you only need to purchase two belts vs. four!
Onto jewelry...I have always struggled with picking out the right jewelry. My friends Megan and Bri are awesome at getting the right jewelry look and so is my sister-in-law Janelle. They all seem to have a knack for picking out "statement" pieces. I always thought "statement" pieces cost a lot, until recently. What you need to do is don't be too practical, be a little adventurous and risky and look for SALES. Great places for jewelry, often on sale are Parisan, Coldwater Creek (not a big fan of the clothes but awesome jewelry), Target and JCPenny. I happen to stumble upon a great sale at Parisan the other day. And I did it! I took the plunge and got a couple necklaces and matching earrings that I probably would not have picked out prior seasons. Total came to $42! No, these pieces will not go with everything I have. Who cares though? How often do you actually wear things that would require adventuresome jewelry...not often. And for that matter how often do you see the same people when you do?! So, I say go for it! I picked a colorful stone necklace that I plan to pair with a white button up shirt and a pair of jeans (both of which we probably all already have).
Make fashion fun this season. Pull out those short pant from seasons past. Put a belt over that cardigan. And take a risk with a cool necklace.
This was fun...I would love to hear from you. You can leave suggestions under the area of the blog that you write a comment. I am always looking for great deals or idea's, so please fill me in on some of your great finds! And I believe that everyone can see what you write so anyone who reads this can use your advice. I am thinking of making my "State Farm" corner into a "Best Buys" corner for adult and children's clothes, home decor, etc.
5 comments:
Loved this entry!! I also try to get a couple of new things each season just so that I can feel a little more "in". If you're not a fasionista, I'm in big trouble! :)
I have recently decided that it's worth the money to buy good jeans. In the past, I've tried to buy less expensive ones, only to end up buying more than one pair over the coarse of a few months, never really liking any of them and ended up spending MORE money because I was trying to find ones I really liked. That's my 2 cents worth!
great post! I have always envied your frugality as it saves a lot of buyers remorse!
I second Charity's post about jeans...to me, jeans may be the one item I would spend almost any amount of money on...a good pair of jeans IS priceless (in the worldly realm anyway)!
I have to add the swing cardigan as a must have...they are everywhere at all prices...cropped sleeves with long sleeve blouses or turtlenecks underneath...my new fav look of the season!
So, come on cooler weather!!
I recently purchased 2 pairs of good jeans, and initially felt guilty about it (even though I paid cash). However, Brandon loved both pair, as did I, and it is such a great feeling to go to the closet and know that no matter which pair of jeans I put on I'm gonna love them...and I know they're going to last a long time! :)
I'm with you, Megan, on the swing cardigans and jackets!
Melissa, I just learned so much from you about fashion!!! I am impressed with you as a writer too. I am just now getting caught up on your blog. I am new to this and just created an account. I lost everything I first wrote...RRR.
I need to get a pair or two of flats a.s.a.p. Ballet flats with a round toe okay or not??? Is that what you meant by flats? Meghan and Charity, I recently bought a swing coat on sale at Gap and I am so happy that I did. I love it. I have always planned on investing in a good pair of jeans and now I cannot wait to do that because of your comments...I know it's a good idea. My sister buys great jeans from a shop in Royal Oak. Is there a place at Twelve Oaks that would be good to go? I've got the jewelry end of it covered and I wore a great new Silpada piece out with the girls last night...three strands of copper coin pearls (large flat copper pearls), smokey quartz and sterling silver. BEAUTIFUL and favorite piece from the catalog and I got a ton of compliments on it! It truly made the outfit.
I think that's it for now. I look forward to reading the rest of your blogs, especially New Beginnings. I started reading it when you sent it out earlier this month but my three children distracted me and I am just now getting back to it. I did see my name in there though when you mentioned MOMS Club.
I miss you, Melissa.
Post a Comment