Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Gift Of Life

As I mentioned in entries past, when I first moved to Ionia I prayed that God would give me good friends...real friends. I also prayed that God would provide me with a Bible Study. I knew that of all the times I had needed him in my life, I would need him now more then ever. Well low and behold I met Sara and that lead to a play date, which then lead to an invite to her Bible Study. Not a surprise really, I had a good feeling that God would provide, especially pertaining to growth in my relationship with him. Ok, I am getting to my point. Sara (a name I am using for privacy purposes), I soon found out was not yet a Christian...she was definitely seeking and had many questions but she had not made that step of faith yet. Often in my life I have wondered how someone became a Christian. I grew up in a Christian home and I accepted Christ at a young age. But what about those who accepted Christ at the ripe old age of 30 something....how did that happen? I also used to pray that God would use me to bring someone to him. Goodness, I am not a good example I would think. I decided to stop beating myself up and remember that we all fall short and if that were not the case, then what did Christ die for?!

The first week I met with my 3 new friends I could tell it was a great fit. I really liked them...they were funny, and they genuinely seemed to want to deepen their relationship with Christ and their understanding of the truth...especially Sara. She had so many questions. Each week I found myself looking forward to hearing what concerns she had. Each week I found myself becoming more and more devoted to praying for her. I could see that she was so close to accepting Christ. It was beyond exciting! Finally for the first time in my life I got to walk the journey with someone. I could see God peeling away the layers of doubt. I could see him revealing himself to her week by week. I watched as she got to a point where there was no more arguing it. Last week, I did not want to go to Bible Study, I was tired and I had just gotten over the flu. Of course the devil did not want me to go...he knew it was going to be a HUGE night. Sara had a big thing happen in her life that week. Something where there was no doubt that someone else was in control. That was the night that she accepted Christ...and this was the night she shared the news with us! We all cried...I'm sure the guys that wait on us every week thought we were nuts. If you have accepted Christ then you know the joy...the exhilaration we felt for her. You know, just as I did at that moment, that Sara's life will NEVER be the same. You know that she now has a purpose so much bigger then her. You know that God will use her and even bring others to Himself through her. I have to admit that my tears at that moment were truly for Sara but as I drove home that night the tears then were for myself. How amazing that God blessed me with being able to see him work. My long awaited question had now been answered. I got to see first hand how God can take an ordinary person and give them an extraordinary new life in him! Praise God.

Side note...I know many people read this blog. So, if you are not a Christian or even if you are but you don't feel you have that growing relationship with Christ then email me. And if you don't feel comfortable with me then pick up your Bible and pray that God will reveal himself to you. Start reading the book of Luke (personal favorite...wonder why?!) If there is one thing I have learned over the past few weeks it's that God can change anyone...there is not a question that he can soften your heart if you really want him to!!

2 comments:

Kristie Jackson said...

Praise God for Sara! Thanks for eloquently sharing this great story. I loved reading it, and I love YOU!

Charity said...

Praise God! Thank you, Melissa, for sharing this wonderful experience with us. I am grateful to have Sara as a new sister in Christ!